Thursday, June 22, 2017

The Council Houses

Okay, I should really be calling them Affordable Housing. I am not sure if I would want to live here if I had to be near them. There is a section of the village where these exist, but they are on the other side of the Hall, we are not really in the village but next to the Hall and parish church.

It is like there are two worlds here. A definite division between the "haves" and the "have-nots". Although this doesn't seem to be the case with car ownership, quantity that is, the value is far less. Admittedly this is exacerbated by the lack of off-street parking but for a street where there is little space to start with it is difficult to navigate. This really is no different than all the roads around here.

The reason I was there was that I was cleaning up the bus shelter and inspecting the telephone box, which the parish council now own. The shelter was getting a little overgrown and the clerk had received a complaint. I decided to give it a good clean-out while the Village Hall Committee meeting  was in session.

The locals that I did see seemed to be a little bemused why I was doing what I was doing. "Aren't the Council responsible for that?" I guess that was what triggered the title of this post.

No comments: