Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Privately Configured

I have just noticed that uTorrent 1.8.2 had the (Privately Configured) missing from its Windows title bar.

I have not subscribed or selected upgrades to uTorrent (which would indeed give me a new version of the client - one that is not set to use SSHTunel.exe to access a secured host).



As SSHTunel.exe was still running I am presuming that the connections are still secure. However, when I restart TorrentPrivacy from scratch I regain the (Privately Configured) banner at the top of the window.

Also to note, SSHTunel was running all night (it normally crashes and I have to re-start it when I get up) - the only difference is that I started up the BitTorrent client (connecting in the clear). Maybe there is an interaction between the two clients running at the same time, competing for connections and CPU time?

I realise that running 2 torrent clients at the same time is not an option for some, as their ISP will throttle them back if they see a torrent client connecting through your connection with them, but it works just fine for me. I do all my music and movies through a secure connection and TV and public domain stuff straight through BitTorrent.

I am also way over my allowance of bandwidth for the month and have been at the $25 extra useage charge for a couple of days - so my bandwidth is effectively free until the 24th! I wonder if I will break the 340G this month?

2 comments:

James said...

I too have just noticed that the Privately Configured banner goes away when SHHtunnel quits.

Clearing the "send a report to Microsoft" message - the tunnel process seems to re-start as does my torrents.

I hope that I am still secure although uTorrent doesn't say that it is the special one. I must be the same one as was never restarted!

Kudamatsu said...

privately configured utorrent
torrentprivacy privately configured