Thursday, December 17, 2009

Quad Core Faster than Dual

When it comes to media rendering.

I know that I may be "pissing into the wind" here but I am trying to find some evidential indication that a Quad Core computer is actually better than a Dual for watching media, bith from DVD, BD and downloaded torrents.

I am not looking for benchmark tests - of course they are going to say that the Quad is faster and have numbers to back it up. Especially if the figures come from the manufacturers, Intel and their shills in particular (tests that seem to be designed to make Intel devices perform better - AMD not even featuring on their charts - or if they do, it is arranged that the tests that might give them an advantage are down-played).

What I am looking for are comments from those that have upgraded from Dual Core systems to Quad Core and have noticed an improvement in performance. Although I am not into gaming, the fact that games such as Crysis and COD4 (Modern Warfare 2) can be played at higher frame rates (real figures needed here though)

2 comments:

Virginia said...

I guess this posting is close to the one about Bank holding on to funds after deposit!

Grants Pass said...

do quad cores boot faster than dual


This shouldn't be an issue - I see no reason why they should be any difference. The boot process is independent of the processor architecture.