Tuesday, December 7, 2010

get_iplayer for Windows

How to install and configure get_iplayer on a Windows computer.

How to compile and modify the Linux code for get_iplayer

The main problem with the maintenance of get_iplayer is that it is a Linux based project. The Windows support and maintenance is an after thought.

The consequence of which is that when get_iplayer fails due to to changes made by the BBC, January and July 2011, the fixes for Windows users are not published on the infradead.org website. This along with comments about there being nobody willing to "step up to the plate" to maintain the Windows install.

While I am capable of doing this, in fact I could even maintain a Mac version if I put my mind to it.

I have a working Windows solution and do not see the need pursue the Windows option any further. I run multiple Linux computers but find that most of my work requires me to use Windows and the majority of those that would like to download BBC programming will also be Windows users. The Linux community is such that the dislike of Windows over-rides the desire to come up with timely Windows solutions. It is an "elitist" thing. (IMO)

It would appear that there are people of "the list" community that are capable of compiling new Windows executables but the administration  of the install process is up-in-the-air.  I installed a patched version of the RTMPDump program in my get_iplayer v2.79 Windows install and confirm that it works

I am presuming that there will be a v2.8 that will contain this new version of FLVStreamer. In the meantime I will work on my Linux implementation.

Generating a Windows executable for FLVStreamer

It seems that it would be more involved to generate a Windows version of the RTMPDump program. The souce was originally developed in a Linux environment and to completely rewrite it would be impractical if not impossible as the standard adopted by the BBC and others has probably become very "highly tuned".

The version of RTMPDump used by the main Windows distribution of get_iplayer is capable of CRYPTO support. As far as I can see the CRYPTO functions are not used by the BBC at the present time, although this could be the case in the future. To generate a Windows executable with CRYPTO support would require access to the CRYPTO libraries (I have found a license for such a library but the license starts at €2,750!)

get_iplayer Links:
  • Download a Windows Installer for get_iplayer
  • SWF & get_iplayer research links
  • RTMPDump 2.4  - an alternative to the FLVStreamer that I use
  • MinGW 0.3-alpha-2 - Minimalist GNU for Windows  - MinGW provides a complete Open Source programming tool set which is suitable for the development of native MS-Windows applications,  and which do not depend on any 3rd-party C-Runtime DLLs.
  • GCC 4.5.2 - the GNU Compiler Collection
  • PolarSSL 0.14.3 - PolarSSL library - Crypto and SSL made easy - this has an expensive license, it is not known whether you need this to rebuild the RTMPDump program
  • crypto(3) - The OpenSSL crypto library

No comments: