Sunday, June 19, 2011

Finally applying Windows 7 SP1

I decided to bite the bullet and install SP1 on my Win 7 Pro box (with a non-pirated license).

As seen on my other machines that were activated using Daz the process was a laborious one. There were 2 re-starts involved and the download and install took a we while to compete. I can see why there are many that think that their machine has frozen in the process.

After the 30% -> restart and then the balance of the update when I looked in Windows Update there were still 31 important updates ready to install. I thought "What the heck - I have come this far - I even let it install IE 9" so after checking that the installation of SP1 didn't seem to slow my computer down I went ahead and installed the balance of the updates.

So far I have not seen an problems and there were no errors reported in the istallation of any of the updates. This is contrary to what I have been reading on other websites.

On a side note: I installed Windows 7 Home Premium from an OEM DVD that had SP1 already there from Microsoft and even then when I ran Windows Update there were over 30 updates that needed to be installed - perhaps these are the ones that I saw on my Pro box and are updates that can only be installed after SP1 is installed.

No comments: