Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude - pleasure taken from someone else's misfortune

This is a term that seems to be a popular one that describes the morbid reaction that some people have towards the rich and famous when they have things not gone their way.

It might be just human nature - but those who are good at something or have achieved some measure of notoriety seem to be held to a higher standard than those that have not managed to be noticed in the crowd.

On the other hand it may just be jealousy or "Tall Poppy" syndrome.

Things that apply to me

I do not deny that there are areas where I take pleasure in seeing that others are having problems with things that I have found "work-arounds" for myself. I say "work-arounds" as they are not "solutions" to problems, they are largely illegal and I believe that it is a case of "not doing as I do".

No comments: