Friday, August 19, 2011

How do I stop my ISP seeing my torrents

 
Your ISP will know that you are torrenting irrespective of what steps you take to mask your activity.They may not know what you are downloading but the sustained download has a distinct signature.

Even if you use a VPN service that uses encryption (tunneling) the signature of your activity will be such that your ISP will know what you are doing. The encryption will only prevent them knowing WHAT you are downloading.

It is not the ISP who detects or cares what you are downloading,  it is the copyright holders that detect you when your IP address appears as part of a P2P seed-pool. The copyright holder then contacts your ISP as they have logged the fact that you are providing parts of their media. Your ISP may or may not have provided the APO with your IP address, this depends on the ISP.

In my case the copyright infringement letters are forwarded to me by my ISP who hopes that I will abide by their End User Agreements, which say that you are not allowed to download copyright material through your Internet connection.

Services such as BTGuard are likely to be blocked by large ISPs such as Rogers Cable and Bell Sympatico.

No comments: