Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Business Cyber Bully

There is a world of difference in the antics of the traditional Cyber-Bully and businesses that don't like what is being said about them on the Internet.

The use of the word "World" is quite fitting here!

Over the last few years I have been seeing the Internet degenerate into a free-for-all that is now largely abused by the masses. For a system that was developed for the interchange of scientific information it has now become a morass of uneducated and illinformed computer users.

My main concern is the use of this new technology to dilute the original useage and usefulness of the World Wide Web  as a research tool  into what is now largely an entertainment. I am also not concerned with the use of this technology by businesses for the furtherment of their marketing and other commercial activities. However, where this breaks down is the use of the Internet to provide customer service and allowing of consumers to post to freely to forums.

When I started my critique of the use of the Internet my observstions were related to the nonsense that I was seeing on most forums and the general low quality of the content seen on many websites. The ability and the use of the medium as a platform for shill tactics and spreading hate on RIP-Tribute websites.


A very minor incident involved a company that I happened to comment about on this website. The page, I thought was fairly non-confrontational at its  outset. However due to the communication with one employee of that company, and many follow-ups from the owner, some of the information was escalated.

The dialog that then ensued degenerated into a bout of Cyber-bullying conducted by the owner of the company and was fueled by an unknown number of either former employees or others with "axes to grind" with respect to the company in question.

The extent to which this bullying developed has been detailed on other pages on this website. In comparison to the current nonsense that other cyber bullies have stooped to, the incident to which I was reacting pails into insignificance.

At no time have I made threats although I have been intimidated to remove content from this website. This is not only childish and unprofessional (in my opinion - theRCMParecoming) it is not the way to carry out business using the Internet.

A screenshot from my website - tempusfugit.ca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/National+committee+anti+cyberbullying+laws/7480202/story.html

Criminal charges can be brought against those who threaten others online, but there are currently no Criminal Code provisions covering cyberbullying in general.

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/National+committee+anti+cyberbullying+laws/7480202/story.html#ixzz2BOR4PnAd