Thursday, October 29, 2009

Karmic Koala Server in a Virtual PC

Ubuntu 9.10 Server (64bit) - the notes on the WikiP page for MS Virtual server don't say that Linux is supported (in any form) by the MS Virtual-PC (the one that comes with Windows 7)

However, of the guest systems that are supported include 64 bit versions of Windows 7 (I guess you might want to virtualize a copy of Home Premium 64 bit or Home Basic 64 bit [not that it exists for the likes of me and you!] from Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and above).

Never-the-less I am downloading the server image and will try and set it up in a Virtual Machine.
I am really curious to see what the Cloud computing features are all about and I may want to set-up a LAMP server.

I will have to see what I think about the new version of Ubuntu - despite the posting earlier on ZDNet (Dana Blankenhorn - Ubuntu Karmic Koala launches)

It might not work (this is from the WikiP page):
".....no release has been able to virtualize a 64-bit guest; Microsoft has thus far reserved this functionality for Hyper-V, which runs only on 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows Server 2008."

Which is a pity, as I don't really want to spend that much time with Desktop version - Jaunty works well enough for my present needs.
Also I have a copy of Snow Leopard that I want to try as well!
Links:

1 comment:

UK Musings said...

Update:

It doesn't work in MS Virtual Machine - as I feared the VM is a i686 CPU and not an x86-64.

See new post with "snipped" graphic from My 7 Box.

Now I have downloaded the .iso I maybe will dig out the box that My 7 Box replaced and make that into a LAMP server.