Monday, April 11, 2011

Using a wireless router as a wireless access point and Ethernet switch

Linksys et-al don't do a very good job when it comes to explaining what the difference between a router and  an access point, what each does and when they should be used.

A router contains a DHCP server - an access point doesn't. If you understand this you will now how and when to use both and now, how to use a router as an access point. Due to mass marketing a router is generally cheaper although it performs fewer functions.

The procedure:

Basically just turn off  DHCP  and connect the 2nd router, now an access point, using one of the Ethernet ports. i.e. do not connect to the other router using the WAN port.

The DHCP function will be provided by the first router and you will now have two hotpots and the IP addresses will be assigned by the first router. You should be able to connect to the Internet using either of the hotspots and you can set the security for each of the wireless hotspots independently.

Additional findings:

I also found that a Brother wireless printer that I originally configured on my original router was far easier to get working by connecting it to my new Cisco Gateway. I also found that you can print to the wireless printer regardless of what hotspot you are connected to.


Above you can see that I am connected to the Rogers Cisco Gateway and that I have another hotspot with the SSID of HuW. I also have a VPN running but this is nothing to do with this explanation.

1 comment:

Calgary said...

Was looking