Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Using a tablet for web development/analysis

Having purchased an iPad as soon as it was available I am fully aware of what the capabilities of the Apple device are. The main drawback for me is the inabilty to run Flash from the browser. This makes the iPad unusable to monitor a website using Google Analytics.

In addition to the Flash problem that is a source of frustration for iPad users I did not aware that there was a version of VNC that would enable me to view the webserver logs using the tablet. While the Asus TF101 can run Google Analytics well, I subsequently found that the Android app: androidVNC was less than operational for real use. There is a version for VNC, not free, but it was determined that this is likely to suffer the same limitations as the free one, i.e. the shortcoming is with the "touch interface"

In fact, if the major operation that I want to perform is to see Google Analytics then the RIM Playbook works just as well for me:


No comments: