Thursday, May 5, 2011

Firefox 4 and cache

FF4 seems to be doing something strange with caching (maybe that is how they got it so fast?)

If I select a proxy (in the case that I tried, the proxy was in India - I am in Canada) when I load the ip2location page it shows that I appear to be in New Delhi.

If I tell FF4 not to use the proxy and refresh the page it still looks like I am in India.

Only when I close FF4 and restart it ip2location says that I am back in Canada. The speed at which the page loads is indicative to suggest that the proxy setting is correct. i.e. it is a lot faster when I am connecting to the Internet directly and not through a proxy. However, if I reload a page that I first accessed when connected through a proxy it is very quick to load - it is if it is being loaded from cache.

I tried clearing the Firefox cache but the Indian location (or the report that I was located there) was not lost until I re-started Firefox 4. Perhaps this is a fault with ip2location and not FF.

No comments: