Monday, March 12, 2012

RPi frustration

The main frustration that I have with the Raspberry Pi project is not the difficulty in procuring the hardware, it is the nonsense that I see springing up on the Internet from those that appear to be "milking" it for all they can get.

The project and foundation are supposed to be founded on "educational" aims, if there is anything to learn from all this is "how not to launch a product". I understand and appreciate all the hard work that those responsible for this project have put in to date, but the announcement of the project as being "released" when there are now quite obvious problems with supply of hardware, is pitiful.


The forum and You Tube activity from those that have "plans" for the RPi, or those that are just showing off or have an agenda (like generating sales or fame) is getting more painful than usual. Both these formats continue to be largely useless to find really useful information. That you do find is mainly of the Warholian variety.

I am quite happy to wait until I have the hardware to perform my experiments. I have a specific goal that I want to achieve. One that I have been working on for a few years now. I do not see the RPi as a means to show how clever I am or to gain notoriety. Frankly, the forum activity and competitions that I see around "What are you planning on doing with the Raspberry Pie when you get your hands on one?" as merely as a diversion and not very helpful. Those that enter and post to such seem to be mainly immature males with nothing much else going for them. (I realize that this is a gross over-simplification but it is an expression of my frustration - it is not limited to this project, but to most of what I see and find on the Internet with regards to technology)

Update May 2012:

Since starting the posts on this blog about the RPi I have  had to re-post a lot of what I previously had on my website to this blog. This also resulted in my place on the RS Components waiting list for the RPi to lapse as the email address for the updates got lost in the process.

I am still thinking of using the RPi and my notes will continue to be posted to this blog.

  • The RS Components website
  • The Premier Farnell website.

No comments: