Tuesday, March 14, 2017

IoT

The Internet of Things - why is it that so much nonsense surrounds it?

I posted earlier with regard to "connected devices" - today John Humphries was interviewing Donald Toon the Director of Prosperity (Economic crime and cyber crime) at the NCA - it was if John was winding Donald Toon up. He was goading Donald with the example of a freezer connected to the Internet and seemed to be trying to get him to explain how said freezer could "attack" poor defenceless companies with a DDoS.

While I realise that there are going to be more and more Internet Connected devices in the near future, I really do think that it is being over-played. I really think that there are more important things to be concerned about with respect to changing the security settings of such devices. I really do think that users need to be educated about the perils of Social Engineering across the board rather than getting people all concerned about toasters and fridges.

No comments: