Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Registration of a Domain Name with the sole purpose of Intimidation

I started to look at this technique in 2011 when I saw this being done to a company that I knew.

I remain to be of the opinion that it is largely ineffective unless the company or individual is sufficiently well know for someone to make a search in the first place. In any case when you see this and especially when there are many hyphens (dashes) in the domain name I think that you should take whatever you find with a pinch of salt.

If you are interested further you can always lookup the registration entry to see when it was first registered. You will not, in most cases, be able to see who actually registered it, but, a registration that was made recently, or far more recently than the company or individual that is being discredited has been active, is likely to be bogus.

No comments: